Cardboard is a thick
paper, compact and with very little flexibility.
The main types of cardboard used in the manufacture of packages are:
• flat cardboard - the difference between paper and cardboard in that it is a layer thicker and more rigid.
• duplex cardboard - consists of two different layers of fiber joined wet through pressing.
• triplex cardboard - is composed of three different layers of fiber joined wet through pressing.
Cardboard boxes are the most used cardboard packaging and are available in a large number of shapes and sizes with very many uses.
The cardboard packaging has the following advantages in use:
• are environmentally friendly materials, recyclable and non-toxic;
• are flexible, lightweight, hygienic and can be fit to come into contact with food;
• is characterized by rigidity and good resistance;
• are resistant to grease, gas, hydrocarbons, acids (paper treated by coating and laminating)
• can be printed.